Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Brainy Bunch

-- Kip and Mona Lisa Harding

 The Harding Family's Method to College Ready by Age Twelve

 


You can imagine my complete skepticism when I first heard of this family, and then, saw the book. I had so many thoughts and questions about why parents want their children to grow up so quickly and why was it so important that these kids were rushed through school. As a homeschool parent, I was very curious. I wanted to see if they were raising a bunch of geniuses, or just plain crazy!!

As I started reading, those questions were quickly addressed. Not only that, I started getting really excited about some ideas that they had. Over the last couple years, I have been trying to find the disconnect between curriculum homeschool and unschooling. I thought that there JUST HAD to be some middle ground. There has to be a happy medium. The more I read, the more the puzzle pieces started coming together.

Of course, this isn't for every family, nor is it the perfect formula for each family. But, that is the beauty of homeschooling, is it not? She laughs about how her 10 year old (yes, you read that right) would be in his college class while she sat outside the door in a lawn chair waiting for him to be done. They would then go home and he would run around outside playing with his toy sword.

I was still questioning why the need to start them so early, when it all clicked into place. She had such wisdom listening to God in this. If your child has everything he needs for a full high school transcript, WHY SHOULDN'T he/she be getting college credit for the rest?

With four years of high school math, english, science and foreign language, PLUS enough history, music, and electives to give you the 22-30 credits (depending on whether you want enough credits to count as an average diploma or an AP diploma), it doesn't matter what age you are. I found this fascinating and, to be honest, so simple that I felt dumb for not thinking of it myself!

I am in NO WAY saying that every child is ready for college just because they are moving quickly through their school work. As the parent, you should know your child and what they can handle. I just thought it was really neat that this mother was so tuned into her children, she was able to listen to where they were spiritually and mentally. They are thriving in their school and careers.

I challenge you to pick up this book and give it a read. It's always good to challenge yourself. Whether or not you agree with their methods, there is a lot of good to be gleaned from it.

Have you read it? Let me know your thoughts!!


No comments: